Jerry Capeci's 1992 article "Why the mob loves Canada: A civilized place where it's still easy to launder money"

Discuss all mafia families in the U.S., Canada, Italy, and everywhere else in the world.

Moderator: Capos

antimafia
Full Patched

Jerry Capeci's 1992 article "Why the mob loves Canada: A civilized place where it's still easy to launder money"

Post by antimafia »

I finally managed to locate this article on microfilm. Capeci's article was published in the February 1992 Financial Post Magazine, at the time a monthly supplement to the Financial Post newspaper, which has a long, storied publication history here in Canada.

Link below will take you to the Evernote item in which I merged 11 scanned pages into a single PDF. I advise you to download and save the PDF sooner rather than later, as the link below will no longer work if I edit the Evernote item in the future.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/ ... 43ddc614a0
Lupara
Full Patched

Re: Jerry Capeci's 1992 article "Why the mob loves Canada: A civilized place where it's still easy to launder money"

Post by Lupara »

Thanks for sharing. It seems to me the Cuntrera Caruana may have been the most powerful family in Canada after all.
Wiseguy
Filthy Few

Re: Jerry Capeci's 1992 article "Why the mob loves Canada: A civilized place where it's still easy to launder money"

Post by Wiseguy »

...where it's easy to launder money, liberal government make prison sentences a joke, and law enforcement is playing catch up.
All roads lead to New York.
Slumpy
Straightened out

Post by Slumpy »

In China they call their money laundering schemes run through Canada (British Columbia) the "Vancouver Model", it's as bad now as it was in 1992 when Capeci wrote that.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Vancouver is essentially a Chinese/Asian colony now. Sad to see such a beautiful city go. Canada is deteriorating fast. :cry:

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
SILENT PARTNERZ
Full Patched

Post by SILENT PARTNERZ »

Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am Vancouver is essentially a Chinese/Asian colony now. Sad to see such a beautiful city go. Canada is deteriorating fast. :cry:
Pogo
Fascinating insight. Never been there. Very far away from the ATL.
A Docu I watched about Vancouver, BC focused on how pervasive
the drug culture and street crime has become.
'three can keep a secret, if two are dead'
toto
Sergeant Of Arms

Post by toto »

SILENT PARTNERZ wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:52 pm
Pogo The Clown wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am Vancouver is essentially a Chinese/Asian colony now. Sad to see such a beautiful city go. Canada is deteriorating fast. :cry:
Pogo
Fascinating insight. Never been there. Very far away from the ATL.
A Docu I watched about Vancouver, BC focused on how pervasive
the drug culture and street crime has become.
No insight at all. Canada like most western countries is an aging population so you need an expansion in the workforce to provide the taxes and the services - having a druggie population means you need even more immigration because those people are useless from taxes and services perspective but even if there were no druggies the population still needs to expand in the case of Canada.

Unless Pogo is volunteering to give all his money to the Canadian government so they can bring in one less immigrant and offers to go and wipe the asses of a few old people so they can reduce immigration by one more person he's just being a professional victim and everything is always somebody else's fault. I'm sure he will never agree to this and I'm sure he has no solution to the taxes and services problem either.

Pogo - maybe stick to organized crime instead of always being a victim. If it's not blacks, jews or chinese it will be somebody else. Always somebody else to blame. At this point I can't be the only one sick of seeing this. I come for OC discussion not to see the talks of a professional victim.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

Sorry toto but the usual libtard and kosher conservative hog wash of "we need these masses 3rd world immigrants" is BS. Increasing poverty among the native populations and the rapid decline in terms of standard of living, public safety and quality of life in North America and Europe is evidence of this. Facts are stubborn things I know.

Pogo
It's a new morning in America... fresh, vital. The old cynicism is gone. We have faith in our leaders. We're optimistic as to what becomes of it all. It really boils down to our ability to accept. We don't need pessimism. There are no limits.
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

In the event this thread gets deleted, please send me a PM if you didn't get around to copying the link to my Evernote item and otherwise downloading the PDF in the item.
Snakes
Full Patched

Post by Snakes »

Please take political discussions to the appropriate forum. Thanks, guys. I just don't want to antimafia's thread to get hijacked.
slimshady_007
Full Patched

Post by slimshady_007 »

Pogo
Who cares about what colony it is? From what im hearing ur gunna blame a city’s problems on the fact that the colony is chinese/asian? Ur autistic
Wise men listen and laugh, while fools talk.
Pogo The Clown
Men Of Mayhem

Post by Pogo The Clown »

I know your reading comprehension is not the best (not your fault) but you were told if you want to continue this discussion to take it to the Capital Hill or General Forum sections.

Pogo
antimafia
Full Patched

Post by antimafia »

At the beginning of the article, Capeci writes "there are only a few hundred men throughout the country who can accurately be called 'made' Mafia members." He did not provide a source.

Contrast that number with the approximate number of 400 provided in an article four months later in 1992 by now-retired Canadian journalist Timothy Appleby. The entire text of his article will be found at the link below.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/ ... 3359eacd89

From Appleby's article:

Increasingly cloaked in respectability, with strong links to the construction and land-development industry, they are concentrated in Toronto, Southern Ontario and the Montreal area and comprise three groups: the Sicilian Mafia, the Calabrian N'Drangheta and scattered branch-plant operations of the U.S. Cosa Nostra and its five New York families -- Gambino, Bonanno, Genovese, Lucchese and Colombo.

The best estimate of size is that there about 400 "made" (sworn) members in Canada. Of those, about 285 live in Ontario, about six in the greater Vancouver area and the rest in Quebec. The biggest myth, experts say, is the notion of a single pyramidal structure in which power flows upward.

[snip]

Numerically, the biggest group in Ontario is the N'Drangheta, with its roots in the southern Italian province of Calabria. Nine or 10 loosely structured cells have been identified in the Metro Toronto area, Ottawa and Hamilton. It exists in largely cellular form, with no controlling commission or territorial claims.

The Sicilian Mafia is smaller, but is said to wield greater power in the province. Three men have been identified by police as its leaders, including a prominent businessman in Woodbridge, north of Toronto.

Ontario Mafia groups with ties to the Cosa Nostra are based in Toronto, Windsor, Hamilton and Niagara Falls. Proximity to the U.S. border means power flows through Cosa Nostra organizations in Buffalo and Detroit, which in turn ultimately answer to the Gambino or Bonanno families in New York.

END OF EXCERPTS

Years before Siderno Group leader Mike Racco of Toronto died in 1980, the size of this Toronto 'ndrangheta group was estimated at 50 inducted members per newspaper accounts. The same estimate was provided in one newspaper article right after Racco died. Contrast this number with the number of 43, spread out over seven 'ndrine, that was revealed in the anti-ndrangheta Operazione Il Crimine investigation that culminated in July 2010. The number of inducted 'ndrangheta members in the Greater Toronto Area may now be smaller than at an earlier time. If the number of 'ndrine in Toronto was six or seven in 1992--in keeping with the account from James Dubro's Mob rule... book (published 1985) and from 1986 articles about capocrimine Rocco Zito's arrest for murder--we might deduce that because there was only one 'ndrina in Ottawa, there were anywhere between one and three 'ndrine in Hamilton. Given that the Papalia group in Hamilton was an American LCN crew, my guess is that the authorities either pegged both the Musitano group and the Luppino group as 'ndrangheta groups or just the former.

Hard to figure out who comprised the approximately 110 made members in Quebec in 1992.
HairyKnuckles
Full Patched

Post by HairyKnuckles »

Snakes wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 pm Please take political discussions to the appropriate forum. Thanks, guys. I just don't want to antimafia's thread to get hijacked.
I totally agree. I would not want to see another good thread get ruined.
There you have it, never printed before.
CabriniGreen
Full Patched

Post by CabriniGreen »

It seems to always come back to Gambino and Bonnano...... I'll post again once I finish the article... thanks anti-mafia for the post...